Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
BNPS_BeachHutCouple_01.jpg
BNPS.co.uk (01202) 558833. <br />
Pic: CorinMesser/BNPS<br />
<br />
Pictured: Gavin Tew picks through his gutted beach hut looking for anything that might be saved. <br />
<br />
The owners of the beach hut which was destroyed in a fire that set a seaside cliff ablaze have today told of their horror.<br />
<br />
The fire erupted after Fiona Tew boiled a kettle on the hob of her cabin to treat her young nephew's suspected fish sting.<br />
<br />
Within moments the 8ft by 6ft hut on the promenade at Bournemouth beach in Dorset was fully alight and a loud 'popping' noise heard from inside.<br />
<br />
The flames spread to two huts to the right of it, completely destroying one, as well as the grassy cliff behind it. Due to the gorse being tinder-dry and a strong southerly breeze fanning the flames, a huge 100ft long strip of the sloping cliff was set alight.<br />
<br />
When the fire erupted, Fiona's husband, Gavin, was away playing golf. He rushed to the scene to be with her and their children.